Total Pageviews

Tuesday 21 July 2015

Tuesday morning despatch from GP

Late Sunday afternoon, we suddenly took the decision to visit the local Crow & Bear winery (http://crowandbear.com/), which is on one of my cycling routes. It's very young - their vines won't produce sufficient quality and quantity of grapes until next year, so, for now, they are taking in wines - and beers - from their son's place in California, amongst others.

The tasting room was nice and we tried most of their stuff. Lucy liked the Chardonnay and ended up taking a growler full home, whilst we bought a bottle of the Primitivo. We decided to fill my growler with their Saison ale, but it ran out, so we ended up with just half a growler - but it was free.

We posed outside:


Monday morning was back to work for Scott and Lucy - and back to football training for Cade. I drove him there and picked him up afterwards, and we then went along to the DMV (like our DVLC) and picked up some leaflets for Cade to study prior to sitting his driving test soon after his 15th birthday in a couple of weeks. We'll miss his birthday this year, but there's going to be a family party this coming Sunday, just before we leave.

I had booked a round of golf at Grants Pass GC yesterday afternoon at 1:15 pm - their twilight time. I played the first 3 holes with Doug, a local member who was heading for the range for some practice before his buddies arrived. He seemed a nice guy. We swapped grandparent stories - amazingly, he had 15 and I'm sure he wasn't any older than me!

After Doug left for the range, I was all alone on the course and could scoot round at my own pace. I started off playing two balls off the tee, but I soon discovered why none of the locals play at this time of day. We were back in triple digits again and it was exhausting work. My golf suffered - I had lost what I thought I had learned on the range the other day. The blisters on my fingers that I gained  at the range didn't really help either. My hands have got soft from not playing for the last 6 weeks - I'm going to have to try to get some kind of game back for our return to Scotland next week.

The golf club had obviously heard I was coming and had put out the balloons for me:


We had our first hamburger of the holiday last night. We still can't believe Gary, who wanted to experience everything American when he was here, didn't fancy this iconic US meal.

Today (Tuesday) looks like being a real lazy one. Scott's been waiting for his large check settlement from his insurance company - he even came home at lunchtime yesterday to collect it - or so he thought. Several phone calls later, he was promised that it would be Fedex'd to him today, so we were on our alert this morning. Sure enough, the doorbell rang mid-morning and everyone - Jo, Cade and Braeden - all immediately sprung up to answer it, but by the time they got there, the Fedex guy had gone, leaving the check on the doorstep!

Not sure what we'll do for the rest of the day now.

No comments:

Blog Archive