Total Pageviews

Sunday 19 July 2015

Penultimate weekend in GP

Gary and Luca are back home now - and probably exhausted after their marathon journey. We were all up before 4 am on Saturday morning to say farewell. Lucy drove them down to Medford and she then went for a long run before heading in to Costco when it opened at 10 am.

Scott went over to the coast to help his Dad pour some cement, whilst Jo and I decided to go back to bed, but neither of us could get to sleep again so we just got up. It would have been an ideal chance for me to watch the Open from St. Andrews, given the 8 hour time difference, but, sod's law, the weather there scuppered that plan.

I suggested to Jo that we go for a walk so we drove up to Cathedral Hills and walked the Outlook Loop trail there. It was classed as a "more difficult" trail - not the most difficult, but not the easiest. It was up and down and Jo had to occasionally stop for breath:


We've both put so much weight on that we badly need as much exercise as we can get. Map My Walk app failed me, but we were on this trail for about an hour and a half, so it was probably between 4 and 5 miles long. There was a bench at the high point, overlooking Grants Pass, so we stopped there:


We were still home before 8 am. Cade and Braeden were still sound asleep.

I went out in the afternoon in the car - initially just to get the potatoes that Lucy forgot, but, once out, other things came to mind. Anti-histamine pills for the bite on the my arm, then off the liquor store to get some G & T, followed by a visit to GP golf club, where I booked a time for tomorrow (Monday) and hit 100+ balls on their range. It had been a while since I'd played and, sure enough, this session produced 3 blisters, which, in turn, meant the next trip was to the pharmacy. I chose Wal-mart and I thought I'd take the chance to look at their frames for glasses. I got a new prescription for my driving glasses last year, but hadn't done anything about it yet. I didn't see anything there, so I popped in to adjacent Fred Meyer, but they didn't have an optician department, although I did spot a cheap pair of trousers, tried them on and bought them - a snip at $20.

Last stop was Wild River Brewery to fill up one of my growlers. The afternoon had gone. We had Costco ham for dinner, then all went off to bed to catch up on lost sleep earlier this morning.

Today (Sunday), Jo and Lucy went to mass and I headed off for a long-ish cycle. I made it to Fish Hatchery County Park, which had some lovely trails - a nature trail for walkers only and a general one for horse riders, cyclists etc. I missed a turn and ended up on the walkers only trail - it was a bit tricky in parts for the bike, but it was worth it:


Scott and Lucy are back at work tomorrow and that thought, along with the heat, which today is threatening triple digits again, meant none of us were very enthusiastic about doing anything this afternoon, so we're all just hanging, as they say here.

Gary may be home, but the freezer still has evidence of his visit:


There's still a chunk of the giant bottle (a birthday present from Scott and Lucy) left. I wonder if it will still be there when and if Gary returns some day?

On our last evening of every holiday we've had in Grants Pass, I've always taken a family photograph, but this year I thought it would be appropriate to do it before Gary and Luca left:


No comments:

Blog Archive