Total Pageviews

Tuesday 21 April 2009

Ruby Tuesday

Why the headline? I don't know - I was just trying to think of some way of describing the day of this post. For the younger ones, this was the title of a famous Stones song from the 60's - also covered by Melanie a few years later.

Of course, other days of the week inspired some famous songs - Sunday, Bloody Sunday (U2); Monday, Monday (Mamas & Papas); Wednesday Week (Undertones); Friday on My Mind (Easybeats); and Saturday Night at the Movies (Drifters) - these were all easy to get - in fact, many more sprung to mind - but what about the God of War's day? I couldn't think of a song title with Thursday in it - but, of course, nowadays, Google comes to the rescue - check http://www.philbrodieband.com/muso-8-days-a-week.htm#days

Anyway, today was fairly routine, albeit I attended a short lunchtime course in Aberdeen about the many changes taking place in UK and European employment legislation. I had to park in College St and it's a Pay and Display - and I didn't have enough coins on me. Technology to the rescue again - phone this number on your mobile and pay for your parking that way. Of course, it's all machine driven, using voice recognition - I'm trying to say SV56 NWJ in a noisy car park and the answer comes back "FB56 MWG" - is this correct? - answer no - try again - and again - and eventually I get to speak to a human - 5 and half minutes of premium phone time later, I'm sorted. Just as well I wasn't in a rush - I'll remember to carry more coins next time.

Came home sharp again tonight - had time for a haircut and still was in the house just after 5 pm - caught Jo on the hop a bit - "what are you doing here?" Anyway, compensation was in the form of a cup of tea and slice of yummy banana bread. Tea wasn't much later - a scrummy melange of bacon, fried egg, mushrooms and tomato - Jo's still cooking for 6 - there was tons left over, but no doubt our midnight rambler will scoff up all the leftovers.

Talking about Ross, he still hasn't had his formal letter from Bancon about his termination - pretty poor I think. He got an acknowledgment yesterday of receipt of the application for the one and only job he has been able to apply for so far - times are tough. Kelly said one of her friends was looking for somebody to set up a running web site for her - perhaps he might get some work this way - I do hope so.

Kelly did manage to Skype us last night - although the call quality dropped off the longer we were online - I think it's the Cornish way - broadband? more like slowband - even the phone lines are c..p.

I also managed to locate Gary's Skype account at last - all we need now is for him to use it.

Settling down now for the big Liverpool - Arsenal match tonight - more news tomorrow.

No comments:

Blog Archive