Total Pageviews

Thursday 5 December 2013

Belated blog

Yesterday may have been the first time I didn't do a daily knee update - I guess I was just too busy.

By the time we did our usual morning routine, it was virtually time for us to head in to Aberdeen - Jo was swimming at Westhill and I was popping in to the office for a couple of hours. We didn't get home until nearly 4 pm - just enough time to do my exercises and then head off on the long walk up the hill to the Legion, where I'd arranged to meet Keith Gray and Richard Simcox for a rare beer.

I managed the walk OK, but struggled with the beer - just a pint and a half, but it was a bit too much. I guess I'm out of practice. I got a lift back home from Archie Cook, who was also in the Legion with Jas Bhagrath.

We had supper and then headed for bed, preceded by the usual exercises and massages. I couldn't get to sleep afterwards - I was up and down, sitting on the side of the bed and considering going downstairs - sleep seemed impossible. I must have drifted off eventually, because it was soon 6 am and I needed to get up to have my meds and do my exercises before my 8:40 am Physiotherapy appointment.

It was a stormy start to the day. The forecasters had been warning us about high winds and they were right - we thought the trees were coming down. The power flashed off and on a few times and Jo searched around for candles in preparation for a difficult day, but, after an hour or so, it seemed to calm down again and we were able to inspect the damage. In Arbor Court, all we had lost was a large branch off one of the trees:


Jo was concerned it might partially obstruct the exit to the main road or perhaps scratch her car as she went out, so she took great delight in getting her "loppers" out and trimming it a little.

I was a bit concerned that I would get a telling off from the Physio as I felt I hadn't made enough progress since I had last seen her, but that was far from the case. She got her knee "protractor" out and measured the angle of bend, which was now 90 degrees - 5 degrees more than on my last visit. Then she checked my walking and told me I could now ditch one of the walking sticks. She gave me a new set of exercises, some strength related and some balance, and suggested we buy ankle weights (they didn't have any spare to give us) to help build up the muscles. She also told me that I should be able to drive again in a couple of weeks and that I should experiment in a quiet area first of all.

So that was all good, wasn't it?

Since then, I've been along to Tease for a coffee with Dick Taylor and Les Gray and Jo's been out to Cults for lunch. Tonight, I've got a Bank dinner at the Marcliffe to attend - as long as it stays calm and Jo feels confident in taking me there and picking me up. We've had some snowy, sleety flurries today, but they haven't really come to much - I suspect the main danger will be ice. Here's what it looks like outside just now - just before 4 pm:


No comments:

Blog Archive