Total Pageviews

Friday 13 September 2013

Friday 13th

From http://ianrstewart.blogspot.com/

Yes, it's that dreaded date again today - although I had my own Friday the 13th moment yesterday. I was leaving Fraserburgh after our morning Management meetings and driving south to Monifieth for an afternoon's golf. I was a little later than I had intended and not really concentrating on my speed and, sure enough, I got done by one of the hand-held devices.

The police car pulled out behind me from the side of the road where it had been lurking behind some tall hedges, and, within seconds, the blue lights were flashing and I had to pull in. "On the spot" fine - i.e. pay within 28 days or we prosecute - and 3 points on my (clean) licence:


Sod's law, the fine has just gone up from £60 to £100 - just my luck. I think I'm more annoyed with myself because I'm very aware of the number of fixed and mobile cameras up here in rural NE Scotland - and the heavy police presence seemingly constantly monitoring speeding motorists. When I get on to the dual carriageways south of Aberdeen, I always use my cruise control, but the country roads are not really suitable for that.

Still, it's my first offence for a long time - first this millennium, I think - not too bad when you consider the amount of driving I've done over the years - a bit less, nowadays admittedly.

Nothing else new really. Just counting down the weeks - 7 weeks today until my knee op, which means it's only 5 weeks on Sunday when I head off to Tenerife for my last golf (in a buggy) of the year. Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing the right thing - especially when my golf has been so good for most of this year - just yesterday I beat all my mates again at Monifieth - but then I remember the pain I get when playing - especially if more than once a week. Maybe next year I'll be even better with my new knee? My work colleague Brian is having his knee replacement operation as we speak - hope it goes well for him - he's really been hirpling in recent months.

No comments:

Blog Archive