Total Pageviews

Wednesday 11 September 2013

9/11

From http://ianrstewart.blogspot.com/

Yes, it still sends a bit of a shiver down your spine when you suddenly realise what day it is - although here in Britain, the day and month are more commonly transposed to 11/9, but we've got very used to the American way of saying it.

It's always a bit like the Kennedy assassination in 1963 - where were you when ...? I recall both incidents vividly - I was 14 years old and heading off to Scouts when we heard about the former, and I was in our boardroom in Fraserburgh when Ross called me on the day of the latter.

We had been in New York just 8 weeks prior on our way to Scott and Lucy's wedding. In fact, we had been in the World Trade Center at that time. This is Jo, Kelly and Ross walking across the concourse with the twin towers dominating the skyline:


We were next back in New York in 2004 - just Kelly, Jo and I this time - and I, for one, was pretty spooked out when visiting Ground Zero, as it then was:


Scary times.

On the latter occasion, we also visited another spooky spot - the Dakota building where John Lennon was shot in 1980:



Back to the present - Fraserburgh again tomorrow, hopefully to see our new mackerel canning line running this time - then heading south to Monifieth for an afternoon's golf - if the weather behaves.

On Friday one of my colleagues, who has been limping about with a stick for the last few months since his knee arthroscopy failed, is having a knee replacement operation. I look forward to swapping knee stories with him in due course.

On Saturday, there's a CAMRA branch meeting in Ballater and, as it's only once in a blue moon that they hold their meetings in Deeside, I think it might be a worth a bus trip down.

Sunday is golf at Newburgh and I have the possibility of golf at Royal Aberdeen on Tuesday and Castle Stuart on Wednesday, immediately prior to us going to Belfast on the Friday. That's about all my immediate plans for now, I think.

No comments:

Blog Archive