Total Pageviews

Tuesday 20 July 2010

Those were the best days of my life, back in the ...... .. ..

From http://ianrstewart.blogspot.com/

I do remember the moon landing 41 years ago yesterday, back in the Summer of 69 - I was in a caravan in Paignton with pals Colin McKay, Johnny Duncan and Roddy MacLeod and we had a small black and white TV and we all tried to stay awake to see Neil Armstrong step down, but we were horizontal and our eyes kept closing. When it did eventually happen - it must have been about 3 or 4 in the morning, UK time - a quiet cheer went up and the TV went off. I was 20 years old.

But, of course, it wasn't really the best years of my life - that's just the song lyrics - why, I hadn't even met Jo yet - that didn't happen until 8 months later in April, 1970. It was the usual Saturday night dance at the QM Union hall, Glasgow University - and Marsha Hunt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsha_Hunt_(singer_and_novelist)) was playing.

There - that's today's nostalgia over.

I forgot to say we had our first Blu-Ray experience on Saturday night. Ross had bought us the player over a year ago, but, until now, we'd always just watched standard DVD's, but I ordered the new release of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - the first in the Millennium series of books I read - we had missed the film's release in the UK as we were about to head off to USA on holiday, and it wasn't showing in Grants Pass when we got there - so this was us catching up.

The experience of Blu-Ray was OK - but not stunning - a bit like the first time I watched HD TV. I love HD now - especially for sport - so perhaps I'll get used to Blu-Ray as well. Anyway. I enjoyed the film, but Jo got a bit shirty because it wasn't exactly the same as the book. The second film is due out in a few weeks' time and Jo hasn't read that book, so perhaps we'll go and watch it and I'll be able to listen/read (it's in Swedish with subtitles) in peace this time!

Incidentally, Jo doesn't care whether it's HD, Blu-Ray or whatever - she claims her eyesight is so poor that she can't see the difference anyway.

So, I'm heading off to pick up Mary at the station shortly. Jo is picking up Luca a bit earlier and she's hoping to time her arrival back home to coincide with us. I'm under strict instructions - Mary doesn't travel well, so I've got to be careful how I drive!

No comments:

Blog Archive