Total Pageviews

Wednesday 16 December 2009

Moaning Minnie

Shall I have another bleat today? I think so. Luca had a bad dream and woke us all in the middle of the night. Then, at 4 am, the cooker timer alarm went off and we were all up again - and guess who couldn't get back to sleep after all this?

Anyway, I'm now a few chapters in to my "blast from the past" book, No Mean City. It was written in the 30's about the hard life in the Gorbals and the razor gangs that abounded then. Leaves you with a slightly queasy feeling - although there's no real bad language or too much graphic detail. I learned what a "hairy" was - it's a phrase no longer used - I guess the modern equivalent in Aberdeen would be "minger". I must have had these horrid graphic images of the derivation when I was a teenager, but it transpires that it's a bit of a class thing - i.e. hairy means they weren't wearing/couldn't afford a hat!

No comments:

Blog Archive