Total Pageviews

Sunday 13 December 2009

Fife trip

We had a nice little trip down to St Andrews on Friday - eventually! I had agreed to meet Jo at Stracathro and phoned her at 1:30 pm advising her to leave now, hoping she might get there about 2:15 pm. Given the previous track record, I didn't rush leaving Bridge of Don, but I was still down there with plenty of time to spare. I waited - and I waited. Eventually, I felt I had to phone - no answer of course. I tried Ross' phone, as I knew there was a possibility that he would be driving his Mum over Cairn o' Mount - no answer from him either. What had happened to them?

Round about 3:10 pm, the little Almera pulled in to view, with Jo looking slightly stressed in the passenger seat. They had got a little fed up following slow moving traffic over the hill, and Ross had decided to take a left turn at Clatterin' Brig. Where does that take you? To Drumtochty, and, if you take another wrong turn, Auchenblae. It seems that Ross has inherited his mother's legendary (lack of) sense of direction.

After that, the trip down to St Andrews was relatively plain sailing and we got there with time enough to stop off in the town to book a table for dinner at the Doll's House. At the hotel, we had been upgraded to a suite with what would have been a lovely view out to sea, were it not for the fog enveloping Fife. My camera was still in the car, but Jo took several photos of our room and hopefully we'll see them on her blog.

I had booked us in for a massage - what a shock to the system that was! We were both in the same room on adjacent tables this time and I discovered later that we were playing a game of chicken - who would squeal with pain first of all? How could a little slip of a girl inflict so much pain on me? Was it worth it? I think so - although Jo was still complaining about the pain in her shoulders the following day!

There was no shuttle service running to town after 6 pm so we had to order a taxi, and we had a G & T while we waited. Our booking wasn't until 9 pm so we also managed a couple of beers in the Central Bar first of all. Our meal was excellent - I'd go back to the Doll's House again.

On Saturday morning, we weren't quite ready for breakfast, so we nipped down for a quick dip and a read of our books. After breakfast, we noticed the fog was lifting so we set off for Crail and a short walk along the Fife Coastal Trail. This is Crail harbour:


This was the street we walked down to the harbour:



and here's Jo with the sea behind her:


Crail is at the very start of the Firth of Forth and we could see right down to East Lothian and the Bass Rock - although it was still a little misty and the camera wouldn't capture it all. This was the view of the mouth of the harbour from the viewpoint:



We did a loop round the town and came back along Market Gate, where Jo was taking some  photos:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)

Blog Archive