Total Pageviews

Tuesday 10 February 2009

Travel to Glasgow

I'm writing this on the train down to Glasgow for Dad's 6 month assessment at Erskine. It's a beautiful clear, crisp day. Thankfully, the Slug road was fine this morning, so, so far so good. It's a lot stressful than driving.



We had an adventure last night - I'm looking forward to reading Jo's blog today and her account of events - I heard a version last night, but no doubt there will have been other bits she missed out. I had dropped Jo off at Inverurie on my way to Fraserburgh - a particularly nasty day there - not weather wise - there was no snow - but we had to tell the staff at one of the factories (the canning plant) that we would have to move on to a 3 day week starting next week due to a loss of orders in Australia, Scandinavia and the UK - not pleasant at all - I hope we can revert to a full week in a couple of months' time - if we have any staff left by then, that is.



Anyway, back to Jo - we were late leaving Inverurie on the way home - I had scheduled to play doubles that evening and had put our scheduled 5:15 start back to 6:00 pm which, if we left Inverurie at 5, would be plenty time to get Jo home and me up to Findrack in time for squash. Inevitably, we were late and I had no option but to go straight to squash and let Jo take the car home from there. All was OK on the roads until we got past Torphins and turned up the Tor-na-veen road, which was pretty snowy. Jo looked apprehensive and her face turned even more ashen when we turned in to the Findrack estate.



I drove up to the courts OK - I had to drive fairly carefully but the car seemed to handle the snow OK and I thought as long as Jo went gingerly down the hill, she wouldn't have a problem getting back home. Of course, I hadn't reckoned on the conditions worsening a little allied to Jo's legendary lack of a sense of direction.



When we finished playing we drove down the hill of the estate and had to help some poor unfortunate in a little Polo with bald tyres who was stuck trying to get up the hill. He was being helped by a man who was trying to cycle through the foot deep snow and had lost his chain in this foolish act! It was only after all this that we got to a place where I could get a signal on my mobile - and the first thing was a voicemail message from Jo saying she was stuck and was holding up all the traffic - and she didn't know where she was!



Fortunately, I eventually got through to her mobile and discovered that all was now well and she was safely home again!

No comments:

Blog Archive