Total Pageviews

Monday 11 August 2008

Sunday

Well, we made it down to Forfar yesterday morning but the portents weren't good - the start was delayed by 35-40 minutes but at least it was dry (and sunny in parts) for most of our round - that was until the heavens opened round about the 14th hole.

The round took so long that I was going to be late for my tie at Torphins, which the committee had told me, rather brusquely, had to be played by Sunday evening. I was a little late, but not too bad and donned the waterproofs again and got my clubs and powacaddy all set up and we started off. It was pretty obvious that my opponent, however, did not like the looks of the gathering storms around us and eventually suggested we should just toss a coin. Secretly, I didn't fancy playing either - I was knackered - but equally didn't want to get knocked out of the Learney Cup (I am the holder after all!) by such random means. Eventually, however, I relented - and I'm happy to say I won the toss! Excellent result with the minimum of pain!

I seem to have been fated with my golf since I came back - I was so looking forward to playing some competitive golf again - especially at Banchory - but we were rained off on Wednesday - and Thursday - and then I had to cancel Saturday. I suppose I did get a full round, albeit rain interrupted, at Forfar yesterday, but Torphins was aborted last night as well, so one out of five is not a very good return, is it?

Anyway, tonight (Monday), we have a meeting with the Laird to discuss the Hill of Banchory sports centre development, which currently has 2 squash courts in the plans. However, we don't have a club any more and the very small band of ageing former members are weary from years of battling, so we don't really have much to offer - definitely not cash - and this could be the problem. We hope Jamie will build the courts on a purely speculative basis and then we can try and drum up the enthusiasm again - but I'm not holding my breath!

There were articles in both the P & J and the Piper last week about CALA's exhibition last week of their revised plans:

Keith White, chairman of Banchory Community Council is quoted as saying that the changes are purely cosmetic. I've written to the agents and asked them to send me a copy of their plans - we'll see if they are willing to do so, or whether this "consultation with the community" exercise was merely them playing games. I've also had some correspondence with Historic Scotland about listing the building - but I think that's a really long shot.
Jo's getting better now but Ross is still off work, awaiting his blood tests.

No comments:

Blog Archive