Total Pageviews

Wednesday 28 January 2015

Wednesday

I made a start on this blog diary entry last night but didn't get very far. It's now Thursday morning and therefore the present tense no longer applies.

Jo's watching The Block on TV so I'm passing the time by blogging about today's events.

Kelly was off work so she took us on a drive up the Adelaide Hills, just past Hahndorf to the Kiddies' Farm Barn. Miller took a shine to some of the animals, but, strangely, not the little cute ones like the kid goats and the Guinea Pigs.

It's definitely more of a farm and not a zoo - you're allowed to enter the outdoor pens and feed the large animals. We had one packet of feed and Jo was carrying it when we entered the enclosure containing the deer, who instantly accosted her for it:



They were harmless, but quite aggressive in their search for the goodies and Jo felt quite intimidated. One of them ripped the bottom of the packet open and seed scattered everywhere, whereupon Jo threw the rest away, hoping the deer would then go away. No chance - they reckoned she must have had more and when she and Kelly turned their backs on them, the deer started to nibble at the bottom of their cardigans. (We were up in the hills and it was still morning so there was a bit of a chill wind at times).

Miller really loved the old tractor that was lying around:


Lunch was at a pretty little place in Hahndorf - speciality salads - after which we headed back down to the city and took a slight detour out to have a look at Penfolds Magill Estate. They had tours and tastings going on, but there was also a huge amount of building work going on - apparently a major extension of their visitor facilities. With Miller asleep in the car with Kelly, Jo and I just popped out for a few photos, including these ones of the beautifully maintained old buildings:



We got back to Semaphore mid-afternoon, affording me the opportunity to go for another cycle and attempt to justify the beers that would end my very brief alcohol abstention. I headed south along the beach esplanade this time - right in to the teeth of what was a pretty strong wind coming off the Southern Ocean. I guess the last land the wind crossed would be Antartica, but you would never know it - it was strong but warm. This is the track I cycle on:


I only went as far as Grange, where Jo and I had walked to a couple of weeks ago, so it was just a little longer than yesterday at 19+ kms. Here I am at the cafe that Jo and I had breakfast at:


My knee has coped well with our various walks and the 2 recent cycles - it must have known that my appointment to fix my torn cartilage was imminent and, sure enough, I've just had confirmation that the operation will be on Monday 23rd February - just 2 days after we get back.

Today (Thursday) Jo and I are home alone again and are planning to catch the train in to the city to have a stroll around and do a bit of shopping. Chris' car is also available, but I don't think we'll need it.

No comments:

Blog Archive