Total Pageviews

Saturday 2 January 2010

Memories of 26 years ago

The continuing snow reminds me of winter 1983/84 when we first moved in to Banchory. It arrived with a vengeance on 1st January, 1984 and the snow hung around until the end of February. "Daddy, I want to go back home" was a wail I recall. Of course, there was also a certain little madam who told me in no uncertain terms about the same time that she didn't care where my next job took me, she was staying put in Banchory - 10 years old and giving me orders! - and now look where she is!

Anyway, remember we didn't even have carpets down in the living room and we huddled up under duvets? We lost power, phones and TV reception. Remember the long queues at the video shop? - one in, one out.

I wonder if this winter is heading the same way? I rather like having "proper" winter weather, rather than just the bland, damp winters of more recent years. As long as the roads are open, it's rather nice - very pretty.

We went for a long(ish) walk yesterday. I think it was a bit further than Jo intended and she was pretty tired when we got back home. She had plans A & B ready for our New Year meal, depending on whether Gary, Carole and Luca came over - if they had, it would have been Jo's famous steak pie, but the snow put paid to that and so we had to "make do" with haggis instead! Very tasty it was too.

This was one of the photos I took at the far end of Banchory:



Today we're due to be heading off for a few days away at the Kenmore Club, Perthshire - if the weather behaves. More snow is forecast, but, so far, no sign of anything major. Have to wait for Jo to awaken anyway - she's still in recovery mode after yesterday!

No comments:

Blog Archive