Total Pageviews

Wednesday 3 December 2008

Preparing for the onslaught

Getting home before 4:30 pm yesterday meant an evening of telly watching. Jo had been saving up the Little Dorrits for me and I finally got round to watching a few episodes. Dickens' tales wander and weave in a slew of characters, many of them eccentrics - and the BBC's production emphasises this trait - good viewing. OK, I'm hooked now - perhaps a few more tonight.

My journey to work was OK this morning but everyone else seems to be complaining about the roads. We've had dire warnings about tonight's weather and I've already cancelled one of our management meetings in the Broch tomorrow. Bring it on - I'll just work from home.

It was my pal Dan Corbett's 66th birthday yesterday - you all remember him? He left Banchory over a decade ago and now lives in Linlithgow, although we still see him at various golf outings etc. You might remember what he used to look like before the beard came off - this rather grainy one came from 1993:


More recently, at Chicago airport on the way home from Florida:



The one constant, however, is Dan's "lazy" right eye. He told me yesterday that, after all these years, he was in hospital last week to have it sorted. Dan reported "That is the right eyelid that has been more or less closed for up to 60 years. One opthalmic optician had told me that I had probably been uniocular for all that time.

The procedure that the doctor followed was to chop a bit from both eyelids and tie them up a bit higher by shortening the tendon that works each eyelid. It was a terribles 2 hour ordeal but the results are, in a word, spectacular; that is from what I can now see vis-a-vis what I could see a week ago.


I will have the external stitches out this evening and the internal ones will dissolve in time. The photos are quite horrendous and I will not be circulating them; it did look like I had gone a few rounds with a particularly hard-hitting boxer. But I expect there to be an improvement before the end of this year."

So there you go - there's always hope!

Finally booked our flights to Tenerife for the February golf trip - phew!

No comments:

Blog Archive