Total Pageviews

Saturday 15 November 2008

Saturday morning slobs

It's Saturday morning. I've had my breakfast - but no paper to read - no TV to watch either - Jo's insisting on her early morning fix of Alibi - today it's two hours (!) of Taggart - and she complained when I didn't get her a coffee this morning - unusually she was up first and I assumed she had got herself one, but I guess I was wrong.

I suppose as I'm usually off to work (or away golfing) Jo's used to having the TV to herself - so I can't really complain. Is this the life of retirement I have facing me? Maybe just as well I can't afford to retire for a while yet - it could be years before my pension funds recover from the crash.

It's a beautiful day - I could have golfed after all, but it's just a habit that I only golf on Sundays in the winter - weather permitting - no doubt it will rain tomorrow.

Hoping just to take things easy today - at least until squash at 5 tonight. I played football last night - it was good fun but really sore on the body. Our usual Friday night session was at the golf club last night - we were the only people there! There were 7 of us present - a few more than usual - it could/should have been 8 - Brian Fitzpatrick made one of his rare appearances but left as soon as the first person (Colin) arrived! Strange - apparently he was there from 7:30 but he knows the rest of us are never there until after 8 - why did he bother coming along?

That was my first pint of real ale for a couple of weeks - in fact my first beer since Chicago airport Monday lunchtime. Adnam's Old Ale isn't a favourite - it's a dark winter brew - but it was nice to drink cask conditioned again. I like a lot of the US beers but it's hard to get them served cask conditioned except in the major cities. Today's short list is my favourite American micros:

1) Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
2) Bridgeport bottle conditioned Pale Ale
3) Samuel Adams Boston Lager

No comments:

Blog Archive