Total Pageviews

Friday 28 November 2008

Friday frustrations

Well, I didn't go to the KGV meeting last night after all - I just stayed home and vegetated - catching up with some of my Sky + recordings and transferring them to my laptop for next Friday's headbang - talking of which, our host Dave may have a problem with making it back up from Reading in time. He suggested changing it to Saturday night - but I didn't think that would go down very well!!!! Let's hope he can make it on Friday.

I sat through a good live concert from a small club in Memphis while Jo was having a bath. It was on Sky Arts HD and the quality was excellent - you really got the feeling you were there as Elvis Costello and the Imposters ran through their act.

Our golf group continues to frustrate - they keep changing their minds. I thought the dates for the spring trip were finally settled yesterday, but today it's all change again! Well, at least it looks like the revised dates will suit me a bit better - out on 27th February - but I'm not booking anything yet until I get absolute confirmation from the rest.

Fiona Kennedy (Clark) will definitely be making a cameo appearance on stage with Beth Nielsen Chapman tonight - looking forward to it, although I hear Beth's "got religion" - I just hope she doesn't overdo the sanctity.

I think we're all either mentally challenged or there really aren't many modern songs with Scottish place names in the title - but here's one I'd never heard of before - Glasgow Star - Eddi Reader - check http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oE_1npcLIbk. There's also, of course, the execrable Mull of Kintyre by Wings.

Believe it or not, it appears that the UK place with the most songs mentioning it is Birmingham - although many of them refer to other Birminghams - Alabama etc. A lot of them I've never heard of:

Paint Me A Birmingham - Tracy Lawrence
Birmingham - Amanda Marshall
Boulder To Birmingham - Emmylou Harris
Birmingham - Randy Newman
Bethlehem In Birmingham - Toby Keith
When Jesus Left Birmingham - John Mellencamp
Postmarked Birmingham - Blackhawk
Sparrows Over Birmingham - Josh Rouse
Halfway Back to Birmingham - Mark Chesnutt
Hello Birmingham - Ani Difranco
Birmingham - Drive-By Truckers
Atlanta & Birmingham - Deana Carter
Breakfast In Birmingham - David Lee Murphy

So my lists are morphing in to quizzes - if I said London (including places in London), how many can you get?

No comments:

Blog Archive